Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Share The Love!

On Valentine's Day, 2012, Cotton Babies had a BIG announcement!

They announced the creation of a new cloth diaper bank to distribute donated cloth diapers to St. Louis families who were struggling financially. Eligible families who completed the application process to receive a set of cloth diapers to help them care for their child through a tough time.
"According to a recent study, one in three parents in the United States is choosing between buying diapers and providing certain essentials (food, utilities, or child care) for their family. The same study reported that approximately 1 in 20 disposable diapers are reused because these parents cannot afford to purchase new diapers. Stories from families living with these realities broke our hearts and challenged us to find new ways to reach out to our own community."

Since then, the Share The Love Program has grown to over 50 distribution site locations across the US - one of which, I am a site host!

To be honest, I was literally in tears when I received the approval to become a site host. Not only will I be able to support another family in their cloth diapering journey, but I will also give them a gift that will help their family survive by easing their financial stress. There was a time when my family had barely enough money to eat and pay the bills...and I was quite thankful for my son's cloth diaper stash.

If you are a cloth diapering parent and are in need of "destashing", please consider donating your cloth to Share The Love.

*** UPDATE! 10/1/13***

I would like to take a moment to thank all of you who have donated the gift of cloth to my Share The Love host site. With your support, Share The Love has been distributing diapers to families who would otherwise have to make the choice between providing a clean diaper for their baby or keeping their house warm and bellies full.

This past weekend, I made my first diaper delivery to an amazing mom and her baby. They had been suffering financially do to some unforeseen hospital expenses...so the stash of diapers that they had received, eased some of that burden.

Thank you to The Little Bee Company for generously donating this stash of cloth diapers that were given to a sweet mom and her baby this past Sunday!

This HUGE stash was received yesterday and sent by a kindhearted mom - "S"

For more information about the Share The Love cloth diaper bank and how you can help, please click here.

Thank you all in advance for choosing to share the gift of cloth diapering and changing the world for the better...one family at a time.

~ Alanna

67 comments:

1. This is so great to hear! I am in Canada so kind of difficult to donate to them but we have a similar program called Cloth for a Cause. I hope to donate when my last potty trains.

ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is awesome! As someone who is just beginning my cloth diaper adventure, but previously diapered two in disposables, I can see how this can and will be such a posotove impact on many families.

ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you are involved! I think this is an awesome program! I wish I knew more moms that would take advantage of it instead of continuing to struggle to purchase disposables.

ReplyDelete
  4. So sad to hear that there are so many families reusing disposables! Keep up the good work

ReplyDelete
  5. This warms my heart! Giving cloth diapers to parents in need just makes so much more sense than giving them disposables!

ReplyDelete
  6. That is awsome! I couldn't emagian trying to reuse desposable diapers!

ReplyDelete
  7. Disposable diapers are a huge expense. It's great that there's a program that helps struggling families and helps the environment at the same time. Plus it's more sustainable than having to repeatedly give a family disposables.

8. Such an amazing idea to help families in need<3

ReplyDelete
  9. Every family needs to know about these programs! & every baby deserves a fluffy bum ;)

ReplyDelete
  10. What a great program!

ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Cotton Babies is helping families that cant afford a full stash :) I am going to tell some friends that aren't local about it

ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is a great cause. I would never have known about it had I not seen it on Cotton Babies and later on a few blogs. Is this a word of mouth charity or is it connected to something else that lets those in need know it's available?

ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great thing to do! I can only imagine how much this helps out families in need.

ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great cause. I just worked with a mama today to help build a stash for $50. Sometimes we get caught up in the fancy fluff and forget what it is about, giving the baby a clean place to pee and poo!

ReplyDelete
  15. So wonderful to hear how you've been able to get involved in blessing these families in need!

ReplyDelete
  16. That's pretty amazing - I love that there are ways to give back with cloth diapers!

ReplyDelete
  17. These types of programs are wonderful - I would love to see them integrated, or at least recommended, with some of the government programs like WIC. Reusing disposables or leaving baby unchanged and risking chemical burns shouldn't be an option for any mom!

ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you! It's great to see projects like this one.

19. this is a wonderful program

ReplyDelete
  20. Can't wait to have my down stack of cloth diapers.

21. MattandRhiannon BrownNovember 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM

This sounds like a wonderful program!!

ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't realize that programs like this existed. I just had a mom the other day in one of my online mommy groups say she sometimes lets her boy go without a diaper on because they just can't afford to diaper him all the time. I will tell her about this.

ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful way to help families when they're often in most need. I didn't know charities like this existed. Good work!

ReplyDelete
  24. I wish there was a program like this near me. Maybe I'll see about making one.

25. Erin Swoveland-StubbsNovember 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I'm glad there are programs like this

ReplyDelete
  26. I wish I had some one to do this for me. Im a mom of three struggling to make ends meet and have gotten all used diapers. Most of which are delaminating. Hoping some one in my family for christmas buys me some.

ReplyDelete
  27. This programs are such a blessing!! I know how much it can help a family out!

28. Megan Voighg-SellersNovember 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I think this is a great program! There are so many families who could benefit from a few cloth dispers that will last for years. I plan to donate my stash when we are done having kids

29. Ashleigh SwerdfegerNovember 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM

What an amazing program! I love that programs like this exist so parents don't have to chose between diapers and other necessities. I know it means a lot to people who want to cloth diaper but can't afford it.

ReplyDelete
  30. This is such a fabulous opportunity thanks for letting us participate!

ReplyDelete
  31. This is so awesome. I actually don't need the diapers if I win so will be donating them to a local bank.

ReplyDelete
  32. These programs are fantastic! Good for those charities!

ReplyDelete
  33. Not only does this encourage families to cloth diaper it is so great to see the love passed on from one family to another. So uplifting.

ReplyDelete
  34. This is great! Love that cloth diapering is being passed on!

ReplyDelete
  35. I've donated disposable diapers that my son grew out of to a local women's shelter, along with cans of formula I received but never used since I EBF'd. Once we are done with our cloth I will certainly consider donating what's still usable to a local cloth charity. What a fantastic idea!

ReplyDelete
  36. I love this! I'm planning on Donating some diapers soon, some need repair. but im moving and don't want to deal with selling/moving everyhing so im just getting rid of it. I just don't know if I would need to pay shipping, because I have no income atm so I wouldn't be able to do that :/

ReplyDelete
  37. This is so great! I really with their were more programs like this.

ReplyDelete
  38. It would have never crossed my mind that someone would have to re-use a disposable diaper. What a wonderful program.

ReplyDelete
  39. such a great program! much better than handing out disposables to needy families.

40. just amazing. those in need are so lucky to have programs like this

ReplyDelete
  41. Such an amazing thing to do!!!Thankful that there are programs like this out there!

ReplyDelete
  42. So glad programs exist to help families in need!

ReplyDelete
  43. Thankful for all you do!!

ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you for everythingyou do!

ReplyDelete
  45. Truly an amazing program!

ReplyDelete
  46. This is amazing. I love that people that can't really afford a stash can still get lovely cloth diapers.

ReplyDelete
  47. This is such a fabulous program.

ReplyDelete
  48. I had no idea that cotton babies did something like this! That's so great! :)

49. Fantastic giving!

ReplyDelete
  50. This is awesome! My husband and I are about to be new parents and would love to try cloth diapers as we feel it's better for our little babe on the way as well as for the environment. However, we've been discouraged by some people around us saying we're being naive and too optimistic that we can do it...and we're struggling financially right now so that makes the initial investment to try cloth diapering really hard. I'm so glad there are programs out there to help people like us on our way!

ReplyDelete
  51. I think this is so awesome! I like that some who would like to cloth diaper but can't for financial reasons can still have the opportunity to do so!
    -Hannah Avery
    hannahavery85@yahoo.com

ReplyDelete
  52. This is such a great idea. I know what I'll be doing with my stash in a couple of years!

53. Mary Helen Taylor CobbNovember 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I am definitely going to bookmark this. I didn't know what I was going to do with all my "boy" themed diapers if I had a little girl. now I know what to do and it will help out someone in need as well.

54. Nettie Marie LarsonNovember 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That is so sweet! I know what we'll do when we're done CDing.

ReplyDelete
  55. I wish they had a program like this in NYC. What a wonderful program!

ReplyDelete
  56. I love this. I know I would be so blessed by something like this. What a sweet gift for new mommas and daddies.

ReplyDelete
  57. This Share the Love Program is great - hope to see it expanding - I'm a new mom interested in cloth diapering but haven't started yet (my son is almost 4 months) because of the initial investment - so glad that there are options like this to connect diapers and families

ReplyDelete
  58. Wow, such a wonderful program helping families financially and for their health, as well!

ReplyDelete
  59. Every region needs a cloth diapering bank. There are just too many families out there that are struggling. On top of that, there are too many struggling families out there who don't know about orgs that can help. :(

ReplyDelete
  60. will definitely donate when i no longer need my cloth diapers!

61. Danielle Madhattergirlie GearyNovember 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

This is wonderful! I'm in the process of learning to sew diapers now...I'll definitely be donating :)

ReplyDelete
  62. I'll have to remember to donate my diapers when we are done with them. It's too bad we don't have a program like this near where I live.

ReplyDelete
  63. So wonderful! I'm glad you were approved!

ReplyDelete
  64. I will certainly donate mine when we're done. I love the idea of passing on this wonderful gift to another family in need.

ReplyDelete
  65. This cloth diaper bank sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a friendly comment! I try my best to reply to as many as possible :-)